Take A Hike
November 17th is National Take a Hike Day and it’s the perfect time of year to lace up those hiking boots and set out for a family adventure. Hiking is not only an opportunity for physical fitness, it’s also a great learning and exploration activity for children and adults.
Planning Your Hike
- Research local trails to find the one that works best for you.
- Will you camp overnight? Or is it going to be a day-trip?
- Who all will be going along with you?
- What supplies do you need to stock up on?
- Invest in a quality back pack and learn to pack it properly. A good resource for packing: americanhiking.org/resources/how-to-pack-a-backpack
- Make sure you purchase good footwear. Research top brands and take a trip to your local retailer to try on multiple types to ensure the right fit for you.
- Check the weather and dress appropriately.
- If camping, make sure tents and supplies are in working order.
- Pack a first aid kit for those unexpected injuries on the trail.
- Stay hydrated by packing plenty of bottled water.
- Sunscreen and bug spray are essential. Don’t forget to put these items in your backpack.
- Pay attention to the trail and your surroundings. Look for any slippery spots or potential hazards that could cause injury.
- Download nature walk printables for the kids. Keep them occupied and help them learn about plants and critters along the way.
- While on your hike, be sure to properly dispose of any trash you produce. Help keep trails clean.
- Share your adventure on social media by tagging @AmericanHiking.
Learn more about National Take a Hike Day and other trail adventures at americanhiking.org.
Always remember, MYidealDOCTOR is at your fingertips 24/7 should a health question arise. Find us online at www.myidealdoctor.com, via the MYidealDOCTOR app or via telephone 1-855-879-4332.